Friday 12 September 2014

6 For Friday: My 6 Favourite Songs Of the Moment


Hello folks!

I don't really get the time to write record reviews for the site anywhere near as much as I'd like to, so I thought I might try and get something a bit more regular in place. Obviously, the use of the term "regular" in this context is slightly preemptive; it might turn out that this piece is the biggest load of shite I've ever published. However, you don't know until you've tried it, right? (warning- definitely do not employ this logic with EVERYTHING that you come into contact with in life). 

The idea behind "6 For Friday" is that every week, on Friday (HA! you would never guessed it, would you?), I'll be publishing a piece entailing a small paragraph and youtube links to 6 songs that I've had on repeat over the last week or so. These will not all be songs released in 2014. For example, I think the only song in this edition that was released this year is Chromeo's "Jealous (I ain't With it)". Far more likely to appear in this piece are songs that have been favourites of mine for a long time (Souls of Mischief's "'93 Til Infinity") or songs that are so brilliant that no matter what decade, vortex or demographic they come from I feel the need to share. 

I will likely consciously make the effort to cover a wide range of different genres of music, so hopefully if you take the time to listen to any of the tunes I post you'll find something you'll like. It's totally understandable if you don't though, obviously. 

Jon Hopkins- We Disappear

Last year electronic wunderkind and sometime Coldplay arrangement master Jon Hopkins released his 4th full-length 'Immunity' which was widely (and deservedly) recognised as somewhat of a masterpiece. 'We Disappear', the first track to grace one's ears after pressing play, begins with recordings of the fug of outside traffic as Hopkins unlocks his front door and enters his house. Ghostly atmospheres then gather and build into a lushous, bleepy and chilly rave wonk. Melodically layered and wholesome, it's a song that twists within its own shell with remarkable, dance-floor friendly ease. 





Drake- Hold On, We're Going Home

Firstly, I know I'm late to the party on this one. Secondly, anyone who knows me well will almost undoubtedly at this point call to command all the times I've dismissed Drake as being one of the most dismal MCs I've ever heard. As a rapper, I still think Drake is far less appealing than auto-tuned, post- cough syrup OD Lil Wayne after pummeling a bullet through his chest. Alas, just as I was for a long time, you'd be a wally to deny 'Hold On, We're Going Home'. Drake's croon is perfectly understated as it glides over the track's driving beat, reflective synth-chord sequences and resounding, deep bass rattle, and in "you're a good girl and you know it" he's written one of the most fantastically ambiguous lyrics I've heard for a while.



Real Lies- World Peace

Some of you may remember that I wrote a gleaming review of this track when it dropped last year. Having heard it again for the first time in months just a couple of days ago, I was instantly drawn back into its glorious abode. Its Pet Shop Boys-esque synth arpeggios seem almost the ideal soundtrack to watching the sunset over decrepit London terraces, and its organic bass wig-out provides an ambidextrous backbone. There's still no sign of a full-length from the elusive trio, but here's to hoping pointers emerge soon. 



The Bug- Skeng (Autechre Remix)

Just a couple of weeks ago Kevin Martin, aka The Bug, released 'Angels & Devils', the follow up to his ground-breaking 2008 debut 'London Zoo' (review to follow shortly). As one of 'London Zoo''s darkest and most punishing moments, it makes perfect sense for warped electronic mind-benders Autechre to remix 'Skeng'. Their version takes nothing away from Flowdan's unnerving tales of murder and callous threats. Instrumentally the already nightmarish affair is twisted into an even more spine-tingling, eerie deap-seated rumble of intoxicating atmospheres, reshaped wobs and cavernous yet barely there synths. 


Souls Of Mischief- '93 Til Infinity

Over a magnificently blazed beat the MCs that comprise California's Souls of Mischief lay down virtuosity drenched flows and verbose verses in what has become one of underground hip-hop's stoner anthem ultimates. Best suited to evenings in the garden with friends clinging on to summer's last throes. 


Chromeo- Jealous (I Ain't With It)

Yes, the Daft Punk/ Nile Rodgers blueprint for entwining modern electronic wiggle with classic funk and soul flavours has been revisited ad nauseum since the release of 'Random Access Memories' last year. However, Chromeo have produced a single so unashamed, groovy and catchy whilst applying that blueprint that it's nigh-on impossible to dismiss. Go on... try not having fun to this song. I DARE you. 


As I said eariler, I'm hoping to have a review of the new album by The Bug up at some point next week, as well as maybe a couple of others. Failing that, 6 For Friday may also make a return. The future is lashed with the unprecedented. 

Until next time! 

Jack



No comments:

Post a Comment